Burn Notice

Each individual property owner needs to apply for their own open burn permits from the County,
which are free. These permits are available at the Weld County Department of Public Health and
Environment at 1555 North 17th Avenue, Greeley, Colorado 80631 (2nd floor). Phone 970-304-6415 or online at https://www.co.weld.co.us/apps1/health/burn_permits/

Once you complete the application online, an email will be sent to the email address you provide indicating the application has been received. Within three business days (although a response has been sent within a few hours), you will receive an email from the Weld County Department of Public Health either approving or denying your request for a permit.

The property owner must also obtain a burn permit from Front Range Fire Rescue Authority
(Johnstown & Milliken), 970-587-4477, which costs $30. For questions, or to receive a burn permit by email, contact Jesse Molinar, Fire Marshal, Front Range Fire Rescue Authority, at JMolinar@frfr.com. Burn permits from Front Range are required for any open burning (confined/unconfined, enclosed/unenclosed), for bonfires, and for recreational fires or campfires.

A Front Range Fire Rescue Authority burn permit is NOT required for portable outdoor fireplaces or fire-pits, but they must be 15 feet or more from structures or combustible materials.

The property owner must notify the local fire department about the time/day/location of any burn by calling Weld County Dispatch 970-350-9600 with the above information, or by description on the burn permit itself. Burn permits from the County are valid for a maximum of two weeks; burn permits from Front Range Fire Rescue Authority are only good for the date issued on the permit.

Burning can begin two hours after sunrise, and must be completed no later than two hours before sunset for most permits. No burning is permitted when local wind speed exceeds 5 mph. All open burns are cancelled when a “No Burning Declaration” or “Ozone Action Day Alert” has been declared. Open burning without prior authorization or a permit is subject to issuance of a
Municipal Court summons and/or fines from the Colorado Department of Public Health.